Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Paula Dean's Lowcountry Pork Chops

I absolutely love watching Paula Dean, don't you? When I seen her and her co-host cook up pork chops that your fork easily slides right through I knew I was going to be trying it. Tonight was the night!

Before we get to how it turned out, let's start with the beginning... the recipe called for center cut pork chops, but I didn't notice the part about being one-inch thick. So off my hubby goes to the store with the list I had given him, which included center cut pork chops. What he comes back with looked almost like cube steak!

I don't know what they did to them. Were they trying to tenderize them? I don't know. But anyways, they have that look and they're about half an inch thick at most. Wonderful. I see improvising coming into play already.

Oven roasted green beans and some mashed potatoes on the menu. Of course, we go to the store today and my grocery store didn't have any fresh green beans so I had to go with cans. Not until I'm opening the cans do I realize in the rush I had grabbed the wrong cut of green beans (kids were with us, so was frantically trying to grab everything I need for the next few days).

Ok, center-cut pork chops, check... kinda. Everything else ready to go (and hope for the best with the green beans). They were the stringy french cut ones, but I still wanted to do them in the oven. So I lightly oiled 'em, spread out on a baking sheet and sprinkled with kosher salt and coarse black pepper.

I did something a bit different with the potatoes than usual. I normally boil them in water, but this time I used about 4 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of water. Hand mashed and whisked with margarine, milk and about 4 tablespoons of sour cream.

The pork chops came out absolutely delicious, as did everything else! I would have never thought to use worcestershire sauce, but the flavors came together brilliantly and my cube steak looking pork chops were extremely tender. This is definitely a new favorite of mine.

After removing everything from the pan, I added a bit of chicken broth mixture that the potatoes cooked in, mixed a couple tablespoons of corn starch in some cold water and whisked it into the pan. It made a wonderful gravy!

Here's dinner! I know the pic isn't very good. For now, I'm stuck with a cheap phone and poor lighting... but I hope to fix that soon :) If you want to check out the basic recipe I followed, you can see it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment